Today I’d like to address my list of the Top 10 Songs of 2008. Much like what will become my 2008 Top Albums list, this one is in constant flux. However, unlike the Top Albums list, my top 5 songs are always my top 5, so let’s take a look at what I think the best songs of the year were:
10. Grayson Capps – Ike (I am a complete sucker for story songs and this is an especially awesome one.)
09. Possessed By Paul James – Ferris Wheel (This was the first PPJ song to really grab me. Much like the artist himself, it’s simple but powerful)
08. Ben Nichols – Toadvine (Easily the standout track on Ben’s solo debut based on the novel, Blood Meridian)
07. The Whipsaws – Jessie Jane (This song is 100% pure rock and roll. I wish my local bar jukebox had it so I could drunk sing the chorus)
06. Left Lane Cruiser – Big Mama (Really, I could have picked any song off LLC’s Alive Records debut and been happy with it. It’s finding bands like LLC that keep me jazzed on doing 9b)
05. The Black Diamond Heavies – Smoothe It Out (First, the song is awesome. Second, I think it perfectly captures everything that is BDH…funky, sexy and raw as a fresh blister…if this song don’t make you bob your head and tap your feet you better be a fucking paraplegic)
04. Drive-By Truckers – Daddy Needs A Drink (IMO, probably one of the prettiest and saddest songs of the year. Also, the lead off track in my own personal life’s soundtrack)
03. Two Cow Garage – Swingset Assassin (I first heard this song on a demo Micah and his Dad did together. I always hoped it would end up a 2CG song. Great lyrics about coming of age through music. One of the three best songs Two Cow has ever done)
02. Justin Townes Earl – Lone Pine Hill (Just an awesome song lyrically, musically. I love this song. I could seriously listen to it 15 times in a row and not get tired of it…Just ask my workmates.)
01. Tim Barry – “222” (This song kills me. It was killing me before I even knew the backstory. Upon learning that…jesus effing christ. “222” was written about one of Tim’s best friends, Travis Conner, who passed at the beginning of this year. The honest emotion and purity of lyrics present in all of Tim’s music is especially moving in this tribute. It is my second most listened to song this year and I’ve only had the album since November)
There you go. The top 10 songs of 2008 per Autopsy IV and ninebullets.net.
As an added bonus I went through the ninebullets.net Essential Listening of 2008 List and grabbed a song from each album and am making that file available for download. But be warned, it checks in at 46 tracks and 156 megabytes of pure awesome.
Hope some of y’all enjoy it.