Brand new Benjamin Booker, Gaslight Anthem, Justin Townes Earle and a Johnny Cash song you’ve likely never heard. Need I type more? Put your ears on the archive of the show.
Below is the playlist for August 02, 2014[Artist – Song (Album)]
01. Violent Femmes – Country Death Song (Hallowed Ground)
02. Johnny Cash – Down the Line (Unearthed Box Set)
03. Matt Woods – Real Hard Times (With Love From Brushy Mountain)
04. Dos Ringos – Long Time(Dos Ringos)
05. Adia Victoria – Stuck in the South (Stuck In The South)
06. Justin Payne – Gettin’ By (No Place Lower Than High)
07. Hellbound Glory – Why Take The Pain (Old Highs and New Lows)
08. American Aquarium – Casualties (Burn.Flicker.Die.)
09. First Aid Kit – My Silver Lining (Stay Gold)
10. Caleb Caudle – Countdown (Paint Another Layer On My Heart)
11. The Gaslight Anthem – Stay Vicious (Get Hurt)
12. Root Jack – 30 Days(In The Pines)
13. The Great Unknowns – Homefront (Homefront)
14. Benjamin Booker – Wicked Waters (Benjamin Booker)
15. Shovels & Rope – Evil(Swimmin’ Time)
16. Willie Nelson – The Git Go (feat. Jamey Johnson) (Band Of Brothers)
17. Justin Townes Earle – Time Shows Fools (Single Mothers)
18. Kierston White – Alcohol
19. Have Gun Will Travel – Asa Dalton(Postcards From The Friendly City)
20. Travis LaBrel – Stage Lights (Gas, Food and Bed)
21. The Takers – Friends In Bottles (Taker Easy)
22. Lucero – Texas & Tennessee (Live From Atlanta)
23. Edward David Anderson – Son of a Plumber (Lies & Wishes)
24. Joe Pug – Speak Plainly Diana (Messenger)
25. Nikki Lane – Wild One (All Or Nothin’)
26. Uncle Tupelo – Whiskey Bottle(No Depression)
27. Bill Eberle – Memphis (Bill Eberle)
28. Parker Millsap – Old Time Religion (Parker Millsap)
29. Andrew Combs – Month Of Bad Habits
30. Michael Claytor – My Trepasses (My Trespasses)
P.S.: If you like this show, do me a favor and post about it on your Facebook/Twitter/Blog. It’ll do a lot to help these bands reach new ears…and in the end, that’s what this is all about. It’ll also help bring the existence of the radio show to more people’s attention & the more people there are listening/paying attention to the show the more likely it is to stay on the air.
The rules are that every last podcast of the year (this show was created in December) is always a recap show. Some rules are breakable, others, such as the last podcast of the year, are not. Thusly, this show is some of my favorite songs of the year as they fit into the overall mix. Which is a form of saying, this isn’t a countdown or a list. I pulled a shit fuck of songs and set out making this podcast paying much attention to the overall flow of things. That said, every album that found a song on this podcast is completely awesome and you should be firing up Spotify and Bandcamp and whatever other means you employ to check each of them out.
In closing I’d like to say thank you for sticking with us/me this year. There were many times I thought just closing up shop and walking away from the site was the best thing to do. It’s been a tough year and while I’ve not completely abandoned those thoughts, I am increasingly happy we limped through the dark times.
With that said, enjoy episode 31 of the ninebullets.net podcast.
Track Listing: [Artist – Song (Album)]
01. Alone At 3AM – Another Round (Midwest Mess)
02. Fistful of Beard – 5th Ave. (Until We Know Better)
03. Arliss Nancy – Failure (Simple Machines)
04. Those Crosstown Rivals – Kentucky Woman (TCR/Arliss Nancy Split 7″)
05. JKutchma & The Five Fifths – I’ll Survive (Pastorals)
06. The White Buffallo – The Whistler (The Whistler Single)
07. The Mastersons – You Don’t Know (Birds Fly South)
08. The Great Unknowns – Homefront (Homefront)
09. McDougall – Ready, Begin (A Few Towns More)
10. Chris Knight – Nothing On Me (Little Victories)
11. The First Aid Kit – The Lion’s Roar (The Lion’s Roar)
12. American Aquarium – Burn.Flicker.Die (Burn.Flicker.Die)
13. Lee Bains III & The Glory Fires – Righteous, Ragged Songs (There Is A Bomb In Gilead)
14. Snakehealers – Easy Young, Easy Old (Cure All)
15. Doc Dailey & Magnolia Devil – She Has Her Moments (Catching The Presidents)
16. OFF! – Feelings Were Meant To Be Hurt (OFF!)
Most years, this is a much greater presentation from myself and I’m sorry that this year isn’t the same. It’s been a shit year and that fact combined with the depression that comes with it has sapped my entire motivation to sit down and do all the HTML formatting to make this list as beautiful as (i feel) it normally is.
Presentation aside. I stand by this list wholly. I may not have been able to muster the ambition to format it like years past (I am taking pills that are intended to get me back there) but the list was as brooded, mulled and fussed over as any other year.
So. Without any further ado. Here are, in my opinion, the best albums of 2012 (with links to the original review):