“It’s our Deca-pod. And it’s a good one. John O describes a horrible, if all too common bathroom event, while Brian divulges a near miss! Michael Dean Damron is our guest. We talk about his life playing music and his most recent bands, I Can Lick Any SOB in the House and The Do Betters. Mike D plays us a couple great tunes in studio. And Brian and John O write a This Might Be Lyft song. Check it out! The Deca-pod has arrived.”
Long time 9B friend, Dammit Damian, started off his Mostly Harmless podcast by talking with Chuck Ragan. A little over two years and seventy podcasts later Damian got to sit down with Chuck again. This is one that’s worth check out. Next week he’s even posting a new episode with White Buffalo. If you aren’t following this podcast you damn sure ought to be.
I used to host an internet radio show in Gainesville–and since I’ve moved away I’ve missed doing that very much. Podcasting on your own turns out to be much harder than working with all the great equipment and coworkers at GrowRadio. So, I ask for your patience and hope for your interest in hearing me try to resume something that gives me great joy–compiling songs and stories. Let me know what you think, what works, what could be worked on. It’s a demo-heavy setlist from all over the last half-century and as Paul Westerberg says, it “rocks like murder.”
Introductions and Congratulations
Bob Dylan & the Band – Banks of the Royal Canal (aka The Auld Triangle) (The Genuine Basement Tapes, Vol. 5) 1967
Silkworm – The Old You (Italian Platinum) 2002
Darkbuster (Lenny Lashley) – Cheap Wine (22 Songs That You’ll Never Want to Hear Again) 1999
Bob Seger – Fire Lake (Against the Wind) 1980
Talk about the Eagles
The Silver Jews – Self-Ignition (Living Bridge Comp.) 2008
Patsy Cline – Strange (Sentimentally Yours) 1961
Gun Outfit – Another Human Being (Hard Coming Down) 2013
Filthy Liars – Shot in the Dark (HFX Demo) 2013
The Haints (Kepi Ghoulie) – Battle of Wounded Heart (Battle of Wounded Heart) 2007
Chris Wollard & the Ship Thieves – Never Have Time (Canyons) 2012
Man. I wish I had time to type out some stories but I’ve barely got time to shit, shower and shave before heading back to work. I really went into this month’s show with no plan and came out with, what I think, is a really rad show. There is a good mix between new and old, loud and louder and a cool cover of Faster Pussycat’s “House Of Pain.” So Imma shut up and you should press play:
01. The Eagles – Outlaw Man (Desparado)
02. Set Break
03. Fistful of Beard – 5th Ave. (Until We Know Better)
04. Clutch – Earth Rocker (Earth Rocker)
05. Two Cow Garage – My Great Gatsby (Sweet Saint Me)
06. Arliss Nancy – Failure (Simple Machines)
07. Set Break
08. Lincoln Durham – Prodigal Son (upcoming album)
09. JKutchma & The Five Fifths – I’ll Survive (Pastorals)
10. The Heavy Horses – The Pale Rider (Murder Ballads & Other Love Stories)
11. Set Break
12. The White Buffalo – House Of Pain (West of Memphis – Voices For Justice OST)
13. Scott H. Biram – Long Fingernail (Graveyard Shift)
14. The Builders and The Butchers – All Away (Dead Reckoning)
15. Set Break
16. The Black Diamond Heavies – Poor Brown Sugar (Every Damn Time)
17. American Relay – Bonedry (Corn & Oil)
18. Left Lane Cruiser – Amy’s In The Kitchen (Bring Yo’ Ass To The Table)
19. The Owsley Brothers – Hot Mess (Cobalt)
20. Set Break
21. The Murder City Devils – Rum To Whiskey (In Name and Blood)
It’s the early part of the year and the new releases haven’t been rolling in yet. There are several on my list and hopefully several on yours. So while we wait for the new goodies this podcast feature a lot of looks back. Some songs a year or two and others even more. I hope you enjoy.
01.me talking about playing cards and bottle caps
02.Cat Power – Stuck Inside Of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again (I’m Not There)
03.Two Cow Garage – Alphabet City (The Wall Against Our Back)
04.The Glands – I Can See My House From Here (The Glands)
05.Uncle Tupelo – Give Back The Key To My Heart (Anodyne)
06.me talking about Thriller
07.The Bottle Rockets – Welfare Music (The Brooklyn Side)
08.Larry & His Flask – Closed Doors (Daytrotter Session)
09.Southern Bitch – Sand Mountain (EP)
10.Myrnabirds – What We Gained In The Fire We Lost In The Flood (WWLITFWGITF)
11.The Pollies – Song For Carter (Where The Lies Begin)
12.me talking about wrastlin’
13.Joey Kneiser – St. Christopher (Moonlight For The Graveyard Heart)
14.Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings – When The Other Foot Drops – Uncle (100 days,100 nights)
15.Lucero – Hey Darlin’ Do You Gamble? (1372 Overland Park)
16.Lucinda Williams – Concrete And Barbed Wire (Car Wheels On A Gravel Road)
17.me talking about bands that don’t exist any more.
18.The Star Room Boys – Was There Something In Her Eye? (Why Do Lonely Men And Women Try To Break Each Other’s Heart)
19.Paul Westerberg – Silent Film Star (Mono)
20.Kelly Kneiser – Alone At Night (Kelly Kneiser)
21.me saying goodbye
22.Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds – Stagger Lee (Murder Ballads)
The rules are that every last podcast of the year (this show was created in December) is always a recap show. Some rules are breakable, others, such as the last podcast of the year, are not. Thusly, this show is some of my favorite songs of the year as they fit into the overall mix. Which is a form of saying, this isn’t a countdown or a list. I pulled a shit fuck of songs and set out making this podcast paying much attention to the overall flow of things. That said, every album that found a song on this podcast is completely awesome and you should be firing up Spotify and Bandcamp and whatever other means you employ to check each of them out.
In closing I’d like to say thank you for sticking with us/me this year. There were many times I thought just closing up shop and walking away from the site was the best thing to do. It’s been a tough year and while I’ve not completely abandoned those thoughts, I am increasingly happy we limped through the dark times.
With that said, enjoy episode 31 of the ninebullets.net podcast.
Track Listing: [Artist – Song (Album)]
01. Alone At 3AM – Another Round (Midwest Mess)
02. Fistful of Beard – 5th Ave. (Until We Know Better)
03. Arliss Nancy – Failure (Simple Machines)
04. Those Crosstown Rivals – Kentucky Woman (TCR/Arliss Nancy Split 7″)
05. JKutchma & The Five Fifths – I’ll Survive (Pastorals)
06. The White Buffallo – The Whistler (The Whistler Single)
07. The Mastersons – You Don’t Know (Birds Fly South)
08. The Great Unknowns – Homefront (Homefront)
09. McDougall – Ready, Begin (A Few Towns More)
10. Chris Knight – Nothing On Me (Little Victories)
11. The First Aid Kit – The Lion’s Roar (The Lion’s Roar)
12. American Aquarium – Burn.Flicker.Die (Burn.Flicker.Die)
13. Lee Bains III & The Glory Fires – Righteous, Ragged Songs (There Is A Bomb In Gilead)
14. Snakehealers – Easy Young, Easy Old (Cure All)
15. Doc Dailey & Magnolia Devil – She Has Her Moments (Catching The Presidents)
16. OFF! – Feelings Were Meant To Be Hurt (OFF!)
Woot! It was nice to get back to the podcast. Mad props to Charles for keeping it active and awesome the past two months. So awesome, in fact, we’re gonna start alternating months so you’ll hear him again in November. Like I was saying though, I am naturally a night person so I find actual enjoyment in staying up till 3:00 in the morning making these on Friday nights and after 2 months off, I had plenty of music to pick from.
Scattered amongst all that is a double scoop of awesome ready to make sweet sweet love to your ear drums. Give it a chance. I think you’ll like it.
Here is the tracklisting and as Otis Gibbs says, thanks for giving a damn.
01. Sunday Valley – I Don’t Mind (To The Wind And On To Heaven)
02. Frank Turner – The Road (Last Minutes & Lost Evenings)
03. Chuck Ragan – Nomad By Fate (Covering Ground)
04. McDougall – 18 Days Of Rain (Our New Histories)
05. Snakehealers – Easy Young Easy Old (Cure All)
06. Two Cow Garage – No Shame (Three)
07. American Aquarium – Burn.Flicker.Die (Burn.Flicker.Die)
08. Allen Thompson Band – Everybody Knows (Salvation In The Ground)
09. JKutchma & The Five Fifths – Used To Believe (Pastorals)
10. Joe Pug – Not So Sure (Messenger)
11. Tim Barry – ‘222’ (Manchester)
12. The Black Roses – Her Love Stops Atom Bombs (self-titled)
13. The Owsley Brothers – Hot Mess (Cobalt)
14. James Leg & Left Lane Cruiser – Shake It (Painkillers)
15. Kasey Anderson – Some Depression (unreleased)
I cover it in the show, but I apologize for the massive break between shows. For the time being, I can’t say there won’t be another multi-month gap between shows and it’s gonna be that way for the remainder of 2012. It sucks, but sometimes real life takes hold. That said, I did make a show and that’s why you’re here, so let’s talk about that…
I have a show for y’all this time around that hits all the bases. Sometimes it rocks, sometimes it’s mellow. Sometimes it’s brand new, sometimes it’s…..well, it’s always pretty new. Some of the highlights on what is a show stacked with awesome are: McDougall, The Great Unknowns, Alone At 3AM, Lee Bains III & The Glory Fires, and Sturgill Simpson & The High Top Mountain Boys.
All that’s left is to press play on this motherfucker. So what are you waiting on? As always, if you like what you’re hearing on these podcasts, tell your friends about it. Post about it on your Facebook wall. Tweet about it. These bands are all pretty small so every new ear their music finds counts, and you can directly assist them in that effort by telling people about this podcast and others like it.
Track Listing:[Artist – Song – Album]
01. McDougall – Ready, Begin – A Few Towns More
02. Tim Barry – Thing Of The Past – 28th & Stonewall
03. Autopsy IV Commentary
04. Elway – Dear Colorado – Hence My Optimism EP
05. Alone At 3AM – Another Round – Midwest Mess
06. I Can Lick Any SOB In The House – Bad Days Ahead – The Sounds Of Dying
07. Autopsy IV Commentary
08. The Great Unknowns – Dead River, Lake County – Homefront
09. First Aid Kit – The Lions Roar – The Lions Roar
10. The Mastersons – You Don’t Know – Birds Fly South
11. Autopsy IV Commentary
12. The Mynabirds – Generals – Generals
13. River Giant – Pink Flamingos – River Giant
14. Lee Bains III & The Glory Fires – Righteous, Ragged Songs – There Is A Bomb In Gilead
15. Autopsy IV Commentary
16. Sturgill Simpson & The High Top Mountain Boys (Sunday Valley) – I Don’t Mind – To The Wind And On To Heaven
17. Jason Eady – AM Country Heaven – AM Country Heaven
18. Marley’s Ghost – Hank and Audrey – Jubilee
19. Autopsy IV Commentary
20. OFF! – Feelings Were Meant To Be Hurt – OFF!
Woot! Three months in a row! I think it’s fair to say I’ve gotten my groove back with the ninebullets podcast.
This month’s show features the Ninebullets Radio/Ninebullets Podcast theme song written and performed by my buddy through music, Todd Ferrell. I’d love to know what y’all think of it. I think it has a solid Nashville Pussy feel to it and love it accordingly. The show also features the brand new Lucero track called “Sometimes” as well as new music from The Porter Draw, Greenland Is Melting and Dear Sister. The end of the show pretty much turns into a rock fest. Not sure why but the night I made it I really wanted to rock out and finally gave into the need as the night wore on and the liquor took hold.
So, let’s get to it. As always, if you like what you’re hearing on these podcasts, tell your friends about it. Post about it on your Facebook wall. Tweet about it. These bands are all pretty small so every new ear their music finds counts, and you can directly assist them in that effort by telling people about this podcast and others like it.
Let’s get a little bit of unity back in our Community.
01. Ninebullets Intro
02. Lucero – Sometimes (from Women and Work)
03. Lauderdale – Moving On (from Moving On)
04. Arliss Nancy – Abacus (from Truckstop Roses)
05. The Porter Draw – Davey (from California Widow)
06. Sinful Savage Tigers – Ballad Of John Grave (from Last Night of the Revels)
07. Greenland Is Melting – The Dead Are Watching (from Where We Go)
08. Dear Sister – Con Man (from Dear Sister)
09. Sassparilla – My First Lover (from The Darndest Thing)
10. Pokey Lafarge and The south City Three – Drinking Whiskey Tonight (from Middle of Everywhere)
11. John Moreland and The Dust Bowl Souls – Low (from Everything The Hard Way)
12. Moreland & Arbuckle – Purgatory (from Just A Dream)
13. Clutch – The Mob Goes Wild (from Blast Tyrant)
14. Two Cow Garage – My Great Gatsby (from Sweet Saint Me)
15. Corrosion Of Conformity – Who’s Got The Fire (from America’s Volume Dealer)
16. Murder City Devils – Every Shitty Thing (from Broken Bottles, Empty Hearts)
Originally, the podcast and Ninebullets Radio were supposed to (mostly) feature different songs. Then, I was asked to do an extra hour on the show at the last minute and the two ended up being extremely similar track listings. Sorry about that but look at it like this; in a week the archive of the radio show will be gone forever but the podcast is available (for better or worse) forever.
The Episode 24 podcast will ring out 2011 here on ninebullets. In preparation for this show I literally (yes, I am properly using the word) collected 50+ songs I wanted to play and set out to make a podcast. I say that so you know that this isn’t a “best songs of the year” show, so much as a “some of my favorite songs of the year” show. Some made this podcast but most didn’t…not because they were inferior songs, mind you, they just didn’t fit the flow of the show.
Believe it or not, I do try to maintain even flows throughout these things and avoid too many whiplash tempo changes. Had I made the podcast the day before or the day after I did, it probably would have turned out very, very differently. But I didn’t, and these are the songs that I chose and I’m done apologizing/explaining.
So, here are some of my favorite tracks of 2011 in podcast form. Everyone be safe over the long weekend, nurse your hangovers with the hair of the dog and college bowl games, and we’ll see you come 2012 (the final year of our planet?). . As always, below you’ll find the track listing for the show. Please tell your friends and Facebook/Twitter followers about it, I’ll greatly appreciate it.
01. Frank Turner – I Still Believe (from England Keep My Bones)
02. The Decemberists – Down By The Water (from The King Is Dead)
03. Old Man Markley – Letterman (from Guts ‘N Teeth)
04. The Porter Draw – Davey (from California Widow)
05. Chuck Ragan – Nomad By Fate (from Covering Ground)
06. Matt Woods – Beating Down My Door (from The Matt Woods Manifesto)
07. Have Gun Will Travel – To The Victor Go The Spoils (from Mergers & Acquisitions)
08. Lauderdale – Moving On (from Moving On)
09. Kaleigh Baker – The Weight Of It all (from The Weight Of It All)
10. JC Brooks & The Uptown Sound – Want More (from Want More)
11. Glossary – A Shoulder To Cry On (from Long Live All Of Us)
12. The Builders & The Butchers – All Away (from Dead Reckoning)
13. Deep Dark Woods – The Places I’ve Left Behind (from The Place I Left Behind)
14. Chuck Allen Floyd – Hard Times (from Schedule A)
15. American Andyne – Bastard Sons Of The New Depression (from So, You Want To Be A Bullfighter)
16. Grayson Capps – Highway 42 (from The Lost Cause Minstrels)