The rules are that every last podcast of the year (this show was created in December) is always a recap show. Some rules are breakable, others, such as the last podcast of the year, are not. Thusly, this show is some of my favorite songs of the year as they fit into the overall mix. Which is a form of saying, this isn’t a countdown or a list. I pulled a shit fuck of songs and set out making this podcast paying much attention to the overall flow of things. That said, every album that found a song on this podcast is completely awesome and you should be firing up Spotify and Bandcamp and whatever other means you employ to check each of them out.
In closing I’d like to say thank you for sticking with us/me this year. There were many times I thought just closing up shop and walking away from the site was the best thing to do. It’s been a tough year and while I’ve not completely abandoned those thoughts, I am increasingly happy we limped through the dark times.
With that said, enjoy episode 31 of the ninebullets.net podcast.
Track Listing: [Artist – Song (Album)]
01. Alone At 3AM – Another Round (Midwest Mess)
02. Fistful of Beard – 5th Ave. (Until We Know Better)
03. Arliss Nancy – Failure (Simple Machines)
04. Those Crosstown Rivals – Kentucky Woman (TCR/Arliss Nancy Split 7″)
05. JKutchma & The Five Fifths – I’ll Survive (Pastorals)
06. The White Buffallo – The Whistler (The Whistler Single)
07. The Mastersons – You Don’t Know (Birds Fly South)
08. The Great Unknowns – Homefront (Homefront)
09. McDougall – Ready, Begin (A Few Towns More)
10. Chris Knight – Nothing On Me (Little Victories)
11. The First Aid Kit – The Lion’s Roar (The Lion’s Roar)
12. American Aquarium – Burn.Flicker.Die (Burn.Flicker.Die)
13. Lee Bains III & The Glory Fires – Righteous, Ragged Songs (There Is A Bomb In Gilead)
14. Snakehealers – Easy Young, Easy Old (Cure All)
15. Doc Dailey & Magnolia Devil – She Has Her Moments (Catching The Presidents)
16. OFF! – Feelings Were Meant To Be Hurt (OFF!)
Most years, this is a much greater presentation from myself and I’m sorry that this year isn’t the same. It’s been a shit year and that fact combined with the depression that comes with it has sapped my entire motivation to sit down and do all the HTML formatting to make this list as beautiful as (i feel) it normally is.
Presentation aside. I stand by this list wholly. I may not have been able to muster the ambition to format it like years past (I am taking pills that are intended to get me back there) but the list was as brooded, mulled and fussed over as any other year.
So. Without any further ado. Here are, in my opinion, the best albums of 2012 (with links to the original review):
I cover it in the show, but I apologize for the massive break between shows. For the time being, I can’t say there won’t be another multi-month gap between shows and it’s gonna be that way for the remainder of 2012. It sucks, but sometimes real life takes hold. That said, I did make a show and that’s why you’re here, so let’s talk about that…
I have a show for y’all this time around that hits all the bases. Sometimes it rocks, sometimes it’s mellow. Sometimes it’s brand new, sometimes it’s…..well, it’s always pretty new. Some of the highlights on what is a show stacked with awesome are: McDougall, The Great Unknowns, Alone At 3AM, Lee Bains III & The Glory Fires, and Sturgill Simpson & The High Top Mountain Boys.
All that’s left is to press play on this motherfucker. So what are you waiting on? As always, if you like what you’re hearing on these podcasts, tell your friends about it. Post about it on your Facebook wall. Tweet about it. These bands are all pretty small so every new ear their music finds counts, and you can directly assist them in that effort by telling people about this podcast and others like it.
Track Listing:[Artist – Song – Album]
01. McDougall – Ready, Begin – A Few Towns More
02. Tim Barry – Thing Of The Past – 28th & Stonewall
03. Autopsy IV Commentary
04. Elway – Dear Colorado – Hence My Optimism EP
05. Alone At 3AM – Another Round – Midwest Mess
06. I Can Lick Any SOB In The House – Bad Days Ahead – The Sounds Of Dying
07. Autopsy IV Commentary
08. The Great Unknowns – Dead River, Lake County – Homefront
09. First Aid Kit – The Lions Roar – The Lions Roar
10. The Mastersons – You Don’t Know – Birds Fly South
11. Autopsy IV Commentary
12. The Mynabirds – Generals – Generals
13. River Giant – Pink Flamingos – River Giant
14. Lee Bains III & The Glory Fires – Righteous, Ragged Songs – There Is A Bomb In Gilead
15. Autopsy IV Commentary
16. Sturgill Simpson & The High Top Mountain Boys (Sunday Valley) – I Don’t Mind – To The Wind And On To Heaven
17. Jason Eady – AM Country Heaven – AM Country Heaven
18. Marley’s Ghost – Hank and Audrey – Jubilee
19. Autopsy IV Commentary
20. OFF! – Feelings Were Meant To Be Hurt – OFF!
Most of the time you go to the station, do your show and leave. It becomes a routine of sorts. Occasionally you do a show that you really feel good about. Last night was one such show. Not sure what it is that sets some apart from the rest but whatever it is, last night’s has it.
I opened the show with a Lumineers, Mastersons, The District Attorneys set I’d been thinking about doing for a few weeks but wasn’t sure how it would go over with the listeners. While the middle of the show features a brand new Gaslight Anthem track as well as a set featuring some of the bands I am looking forward to seeing at next week’s Tropical Heatwave. Finally, on a whim I decided to close the show with a track from the new OFF! album. That’s probably what put the show over the top for me.
01. Otis Gibbs – The People’s Day
02. The Lumineers – Ho Hey
03. The Mastersons – You Don’t Know
04. The District Attorneys – Worry About Your Health
05. The Gaslight Anthem – 45
06. Tin Horn Prayer – Stumble
07. Damion Suomi – Ghost
08. Greenland Is Melting – No Matter What You See
09. Have Gun Will Travel – To The Victor Goes The Spoils
10. Matt Woods – Beating Down My Door
11. JC Brooks & The Uptown Sound – Want More
12. Joseph Huber – Iron Rail
13. Steep Canyon Rangers – Between Midnight and The Dawn
14. Hurray for The Riff Raff – Born To Win (Part One)
15. OFF! – Feelings Were Meant To Be Hurt
P.S.: If you like this show, do me a favor and post about it on your Facebook/Twitter/Blog. It’ll do a lot to help these bands reach new ears…and in the end, that’s what this is all about. It’ll also help bring the existence of the radio show to more people’s attention & the more people there are listening/paying attention to the show the more likely it is to stay on the air.
Keith Morris! (Black Flag, Circle Jerks)
Dimitri Coats! (Burning Brides)
Steven Shane McDonald! (Redd Kross)
Mario Rubalcaba! (Rocket From The Crypt, Hot Snakes)
The exclamation mark might be the most appropriate part of their name! 16 tracks on the cd! CD is 16 minutes long! Say what you need to say and get the fuck out! Pure rock! Stripped of it’s pomp, ripped from it’s vanity and beaten outta circumstance by gnashed teeth, clinched fists and a highly focused point!