Told y’all I’d get back on the grind. I’d like to say that I’m sorry for missing last month and the truth is….I am….mostly. At the same time, the month off was nice. Unless you’re doing a monthly podcast, I don’t think you can appreciate just how fast each month passes. How people do weekly podcasts is quite simply beyond me. That said, enough about my whining. Let’s talk about this month’s podcast….
Most months I make a pretty concentrated effort to play new music, so I decided to just let the songs dictate what would get played this month. The end result was probably the most fun I’ve had assembling a podcast in a while. With that said, it seems that as the podcast wears on the undertone of the songs gets darker and darker. I’m not sure why that happened. My only guess is that the thunderstorms right outside my window while I was listening to and selecting the music played an influential role in what you’re gonna hear this month.
I decided to pay a slight homage to the show Justified. Now, I know I haven’t talked about Justified here on ninebullets, but if you follow me on Twitter or Facebook you know I was watching it. The show started off slowly and Raylan was a little bit too much of a cocksure Superman, but as the season wore on I thought the writers did a pretty good job of showing that this cocksure Superman complex was as much Raylan’s Achilles Heel as it was his mojo, and I’m already looking forward to next season. From there we just rambled through a collection of songs both old and new with no real direction until “Bloodshot Eyes” by Possum Jenkins. From there it’s a steady trip down into a darker and darker mood. I wanna say that I didn’t choose Tim Barry’s song “222” lightly. There are certain song’s like “Darby’s Song” by Lucero that should be treated with a proper amount of respect, and “222” falls into that class of song. Normally, “the proper amount of respect” would include NOT putting it on a podcast and I tried to avoid putting it on here, but no matter what track I tried to put in its place nothing fit the tone as well, so in the end I decided that “the proper amount of respect” sometimes means it’s played when it needs to be played….even if it’s on my stupid little podcast. I hope one or two of you agree.
Anyhow, I’ll drink whiskey and record another one of these next month. If you enjoyed this month’s please tell your Facebook and Twitter followers about it, I’ll greatly appreciate it.
- Patty Loveless – You’ll Never Leave Harlan Alive [00.00.00]
- Eileen Jewell – You’re Lookin’ At Country [00.06.04]
- Autopsy IV Commentary * [00.08.04]
- The Only Sons – Temptation [00.09.24]
- Micah Schnabel – Throwing Rocks At The Sun [00.11.32]
- The Takers – Social Smoker [00.13.26]
- I Can Lick Any Sonofabitch In The House – Postcards and Apologies [00.17.04]
- Lucero – Darken My Door [00.22.04]
- Autopsy IV Commentary * [00.25.32]
- Possum Jenkins – Bloodshot Eyes [00.27.04]
- The Wells – I Had A Dream, Jesse [00.31.08]
- Grayson Capps – Mermaid [00.34.06]
- Mario Matteoli – Sun Keeps On Beatin’ Down [00.38.52]
- Autopsy IV Commentary * [00.42.24]
- Have Gun Will Travel – Soles Of Our Shoes [00.44.12]
- Chuck Ragan – Get ‘Em All Home [00.47.16]
- Tim Barry – “222” [00.52.36]
- Autopsy IV Commentary * [00.56.36]
- Joe Pugg – Not So Sure [00.57.16]
* All music heard in the background of my talking was from Jack Rose’s latest (last) album, Luck In The Valley.