Told y’all I’d get back on the grind. I’d like to say that I’m sorry for missing last month and the truth is….I am….mostly. At the same time, the month off was nice. Unless you’re doing a monthly podcast, I don’t think you can appreciate just how fast each month passes. How people do weekly podcasts is quite simply beyond me. That said, enough about my whining. Let’s talk about this month’s podcast….
Most months I make a pretty concentrated effort to play new music, so I decided to just let the songs dictate what would get played this month. The end result was probably the most fun I’ve had assembling a podcast in a while. With that said, it seems that as the podcast wears on the undertone of the songs gets darker and darker. I’m not sure why that happened. My only guess is that the thunderstorms right outside my window while I was listening to and selecting the music played an influential role in what you’re gonna hear this month.
I decided to pay a slight homage to the show Justified. Now, I know I haven’t talked about Justified here on ninebullets, but if you follow me on Twitter or Facebook you know I was watching it. The show started off slowly and Raylan was a little bit too much of a cocksure Superman, but as the season wore on I thought the writers did a pretty good job of showing that this cocksure Superman complex was as much Raylan’s Achilles Heel as it was his mojo, and I’m already looking forward to next season. From there we just rambled through a collection of songs both old and new with no real direction until “Bloodshot Eyes” by Possum Jenkins. From there it’s a steady trip down into a darker and darker mood. I wanna say that I didn’t choose Tim Barry’s song “222” lightly. There are certain song’s like “Darby’s Song” by Lucero that should be treated with a proper amount of respect, and “222” falls into that class of song. Normally, “the proper amount of respect” would include NOT putting it on a podcast and I tried to avoid putting it on here, but no matter what track I tried to put in its place nothing fit the tone as well, so in the end I decided that “the proper amount of respect” sometimes means it’s played when it needs to be played….even if it’s on my stupid little podcast. I hope one or two of you agree.
Anyhow, I’ll drink whiskey and record another one of these next month. If you enjoyed this month’s please tell your Facebook and Twitter followers about it, I’ll greatly appreciate it.
- Patty Loveless – You’ll Never Leave Harlan Alive [00.00.00]
- Eileen Jewell – You’re Lookin’ At Country [00.06.04]
- Autopsy IV Commentary * [00.08.04]
- The Only Sons – Temptation [00.09.24]
- Micah Schnabel – Throwing Rocks At The Sun [00.11.32]
- The Takers – Social Smoker [00.13.26]
- I Can Lick Any Sonofabitch In The House – Postcards and Apologies [00.17.04]
- Lucero – Darken My Door [00.22.04]
- Autopsy IV Commentary * [00.25.32]
- Possum Jenkins – Bloodshot Eyes [00.27.04]
- The Wells – I Had A Dream, Jesse [00.31.08]
- Grayson Capps – Mermaid [00.34.06]
- Mario Matteoli – Sun Keeps On Beatin’ Down [00.38.52]
- Autopsy IV Commentary * [00.42.24]
- Have Gun Will Travel – Soles Of Our Shoes [00.44.12]
- Chuck Ragan – Get ‘Em All Home [00.47.16]
- Tim Barry – “222” [00.52.36]
- Autopsy IV Commentary * [00.56.36]
- Joe Pugg – Not So Sure [00.57.16]
* All music heard in the background of my talking was from Jack Rose’s latest (last) album, Luck In The Valley.
Well. I’ll be a motherfucker. I never expected to still be doing these 12 months after the first one but here we are. Furthermore, I feel as though they are an integral part of the site now days. For some reason, I don’t really care to much about the stats for the podcast but today I took a peek at them and according to the stats there are 2500 subscribers to this fucker! I don’t know if that’s a lot or a pathetic number in podcast world but I am pretty sure it’s more people than the average Rays game gets. I hope it’s 5000 by this time next year. With that said, let’s talk about this month’s podcast.
For the one year anniversary I’ve brought y’all, what I feel like, is the best podcast to date from a production standpoint….and musically it’s pretty friggin’ stellar to. I open it with a small collection of happy birthday tracks before settling into a show full of brand new material. We got brand new tracks from The Black Keys, American Aquarium, Red Clay River, I Can Lick Any Sonofabitch In The House, Gaslight Anthem and The Morning Pages. Also, in celebration of our birthday, we’re bringing you the best give away the podcast has had to date but to know about that you’re gonna have to actually listen to the damn thing. Another thing that was super cool about this month’s podcast is that there were actually requests from twitter and facebook that ended up getting played. If you have something you wanna hear played follow me on Facebook or Twitter and make a request when I solicit them next month.
As always, below you’ll find the track listing for the show. Please tell your friends and Facebook/Twitter followers about it, I’ll greatly appreciate it.
- Concrete Blonde – Happy Birthday [00.00.00]
- Cracker – Happy Birthday To Me [00.02.14]
- Jimi Hendrix – Happy Birthday [00.05.37]
- Autopsy IV Commentary * [00.07.50]
- The Black Keys – Next Girl [00.08.56]
- American Aquarium – Rattlesnake [00.11.59]
- Red Clay River – Rattlesnake Mountain [00.15.24]
- Autopsy IV Commentary * [00.18.52]
- Otis Gibbs – Joe Hill’s Ashes [00.20.39]
- JJ Grey & Mofro – On Palestine [00.24.00]
- Shannon McNally – Bohemian Wedding Song [00.28.22]
- Autopsy IV – Commentary * [00.34.02]
- I Can Lick Any Sonofabitch In The House – Ghost [00.36.11]
- Two Cow Garage – Postcards and Apologies [00.40.54]
- Gaslight Anthem – American Slang [00.45.54]
- Micah Schnabel – American Static [00.49.33]
- Autopsy IV Commentary * [00.52.30]
- The Morning Pages – With The Lord [00.54.52]
- NQ Arbuckle – Happy Birthday [00.58.08]
* All music heard underneath me talking this month was from Black Prairie‘s new album, Feast of the Hunters’ Moon.
Download this episode (right click and save)