Evan Phillips is the front man for one of my favorite new rock and roll bands, The Whipsaws, as well as a member of the trio E.S.P., with Tim Easton and Leeroy Stagger. Seven years ago he suffered an injury while climbing a mountain in California and had surgery to try and repair it, but the surgery was ineffective. He’s been trying to live with it, but last year it got much worse and The Whipsaws were forced to cancel the remainder of their tour so Evan could get it fixed properly. Unfortunately, there is no insurance plan for touring musicians, so Evan was left with a mountain of bills. The benefit album was put together to help Evan out, while also getting some awesome music out to us (seems more fair than the Paste deal). Featured on the album are 11 bands including Tim Easton, Leeroy Stagger, Ryebender and Wrinkle Neck Mules performing their takes on Evan’s songs. It comes out June 15 so keep an eye on the myspace profile and buy one or two when they become available.
I also decided to do a segment featuring some local area bands, Will Quinlan & The Diviners, Truckstop Coffee and Roppongi’s Ace. All three are part of the upper-crust of the Tampa/Central Florida music scene and they all have albums for sale. I hope y’all like this segment and check out their music in greater detail, I am gonna do this again next month with three more bands from my local scene. I also plan on writing up Roppongi’s Ace’s completely awesome album, Into The Night, next week so be on the lookout.
You may also notice that I’ve added the timestamp to each song in the track listing. That was a suggestion from a reader that I thought was brilliant. If you have any suggestions on how I can make this podcast better, please email me. I’m not too proud, and lord knows I am learning this podcast thing on the fly. And if you’re a band that would like their music featured on the podcast, again, email me.
Okay, that’s enough talking, let’s get to the track list and the music:
- Drive-By Truckers – Nine Bullets (00:00:00)
- The Devil Makes Three – Working Man’s Blues (04:02:50)
- They Might Be Giants – Number Three (07:39:00)
- Autopsy IV Talking (09:01:00)
- Rye Bender – Highway 395 (10:21:00)
- Aaron Lee Tasjan – Fighting For The Man (14:03:00)
- Autopsy IV Talking (18:00:75)
- The Whipsaws – Jessi Jane (18:54:50)
- Michael Dean Damron – Waiting Around To Die (21:58:50)
- Autopsy IV Talking (24:38:25)
- Joey Allcorn – Lonesome, Lovesick Man (25:27:25)
- Drive-By Trucker’s – Great Car Dealer War (29:02:25)
- Autopsy IV Talking (34:37:00)
- Truckstop Coffee – Blackbird (35:41:25)
- Will Quinlan & The Diviners – The Theiving Life (39:35:25)
- Roppongi’s Ace – Lord (44:19:25)
- Autopsy IV talking (47:15:00)
- Bob Log III – It’s The Law (48:26:25)
- The Pack A.D. – Wolves and Werewolves (50:45:25)
- Autopsy IV Talking (55:30:00)
- Little Foot Long Foot – June Bug (55:58:00)
NOTE: This is it! I am headed to the beach for a couple of days and I’m leaving the laptop behind. No internets, no emails, no tweets (okay, probably some from the iPhone) and no updates. Just whiskey, homebrew, a beach, a grill and some ribs begging for 10 hours of low heat. I’ll be back to posting on June 3rd.