Originally, the podcast and Ninebullets Radio were supposed to (mostly) feature different songs. Then, I was asked to do an extra hour on the show at the last minute and the two ended up being extremely similar track listings. Sorry about that but look at it like this; in a week the archive of the radio show will be gone forever but the podcast is available (for better or worse) forever.
The Episode 24 podcast will ring out 2011 here on ninebullets. In preparation for this show I literally (yes, I am properly using the word) collected 50+ songs I wanted to play and set out to make a podcast. I say that so you know that this isn’t a “best songs of the year” show, so much as a “some of my favorite songs of the year” show. Some made this podcast but most didn’t…not because they were inferior songs, mind you, they just didn’t fit the flow of the show.
Believe it or not, I do try to maintain even flows throughout these things and avoid too many whiplash tempo changes. Had I made the podcast the day before or the day after I did, it probably would have turned out very, very differently. But I didn’t, and these are the songs that I chose and I’m done apologizing/explaining.
So, here are some of my favorite tracks of 2011 in podcast form. Everyone be safe over the long weekend, nurse your hangovers with the hair of the dog and college bowl games, and we’ll see you come 2012 (the final year of our planet?). . As always, below you’ll find the track listing for the show. Please tell your friends and Facebook/Twitter followers about it, I’ll greatly appreciate it.
01. Frank Turner – I Still Believe (from England Keep My Bones)
02. The Decemberists – Down By The Water (from The King Is Dead)
03. Old Man Markley – Letterman (from Guts ‘N Teeth)
04. The Porter Draw – Davey (from California Widow)
05. Chuck Ragan – Nomad By Fate (from Covering Ground)
06. Matt Woods – Beating Down My Door (from The Matt Woods Manifesto)
07. Have Gun Will Travel – To The Victor Go The Spoils (from Mergers & Acquisitions)
08. Lauderdale – Moving On (from Moving On)
09. Kaleigh Baker – The Weight Of It all (from The Weight Of It All)
10. JC Brooks & The Uptown Sound – Want More (from Want More)
11. Glossary – A Shoulder To Cry On (from Long Live All Of Us)
12. The Builders & The Butchers – All Away (from Dead Reckoning)
13. Deep Dark Woods – The Places I’ve Left Behind (from The Place I Left Behind)
14. Chuck Allen Floyd – Hard Times (from Schedule A)
15. American Andyne – Bastard Sons Of The New Depression (from So, You Want To Be A Bullfighter)
16. Grayson Capps – Highway 42 (from The Lost Cause Minstrels)