I am pretty late on this one and for that I apologize. I was supposed to give these away back in December but life got crazy, the discs got buried in my computer room and next thing you know I’d plum forgotten about ’em. Then, the other day I was cleaning up said computer room so I could put my beer fermenting cooler in it and I found them. That leads us up the now, where, as late as it may be, I am gonna give them away to y’all.
According to Virgil, he was inspired by a documentary he saw about mix tape culture in hip-hop and decided to put one together himself. It features bands from the Suburban Home records roster as well as artists that he’s a big fan of. And as he says on the cd cover:
Burn it, Share it, post it on your blog or send it out through Sendspace or Yousendit. If you find an artist you like please find their releases, check out their shows and tell others about them. Most of these artists are on small labels and need word of mouth to help spread the word about what they’re doing.
I can get behind that. So, here is a link to the entire cd for you to download, link to…whatever. I also, have 4 physical copies that I’ll give away with a ninebullets.net sticker to the first 4 people who email me their mailing address.
SUBURBAN HOME RECORDS Mixtape Volume 1, “Raising Hell & Living Cheap”
- Tim Barry - Thing of the Past
- Tim Barry – Shoulda Oughta
- Tim Barry – Tacoma
- Chuck Ragan – Don’t Say a Word
- William Elliott Whitmore – Old Devils
- Micah Schnabel - American Static
- The Takers – Taker Easy
- The Enablers – Whatever You Like (T.I. Cover)
- Drive-By Truckers – Gravity’s Gone
- Deer Tick – Straight into a Storm
- Drag The River – Lost Angel Saloon
- Josh Small – Fifteen Twenty Eye (demo)
- Horse Feathers – Curse In the Weeds
- Have Gun Will Travel – Salad Days
- Joey Kneiser - Bruised Ribs
- Portugal. The Man – People Say (Acoustic Version)
- The Builders and The Butchers - Red Hands
- Yesterday’s Ring – Quebec City Blues
- Chad Price – Cursed
- Lenny and the Piss Poor Boys - Lonely Days & Whiskey Nights
- American War – Rhetoric
- Jon Snodgrass – Wild One (Thin Lizzy Cover)
- Lizzie Huffman – Tumblers and Tea
- Langhorne Slim – I Love You, But Good Bye
Now, the more astute of you may have recognized the title of the mixtape, “Raising Hell and Living Cheap” as a line from Tim Barry’s song (and mixtape opening track), “Thing of the Past”. “Thing of the Past” is also the opening track on Tim’s new album, 28th & Stonewall, which was released on January 26th. In a word, the new album is “great” and there will be a proper writeup for it on ninebullets next week but until then Virgil is allowing us to host a full-stream here on at the 9b. So check it out below, give the mixtape a listen and tell us what you think of it all!